(As amended and ratified at the Fourth Constituent Assembly, Troia, Portugal, 1991)
“The Earth Constitution was created through the efforts of many world citizens and international lawyers over the period of 33 years from 1958 to 1991 under the leadership of the World Constitution and Parliament Association (WCPA). During the first ten years, three Preparatory Congresses were organized and the call for a constitutional convention was circulated worldwide. It was also sent to all the national governments and UN Ambassadors. The culmination of this process was the first World Constitutional Convention in 1968 at Interlaken, Switzerland and Wolfach, Germany that attracted 200 delegates from twenty-seven countries worldwide.
“This Constitution has been translated into twenty-two languages and is being promoted world-wide by the World Constitution and Parliament Association, and the Institute On World Problems. (It has also been claimed that over 2200 Non-governmental organizations worldwide are in support of the Earth Constitution, but the WCPA has not been able to verify this claim.) The Earth Constitution provides for a federation of nations and peoples, creating democratic participation for every citizen of Earth within a tricameral World Parliament.” (Excerpted from “About The Constitution for the Federation of Earth.”
Realizing that Humanity today has come to a turning point in history and that we are on the threshold of an new world order which promises to usher in an era of peace, prosperity, justice and harmony;
- Aware of the interdependence of people, nations and all life;
- Aware that man’s abuse of science and technology has brought Humanity to the brink of disaster through the production of horrendous weaponry of mass destruction and to the brink of ecological and social catastrophe;
- Aware that the traditional concept of security through military defense is a total illusion both for the present and for the future;
- Aware of the misery and conflicts caused by ever increasing disparity between rich and poor;
- Conscious of our obligation to posterity to save Humanity from imminent and total annihilation;
- Conscious that Humanity is One despite the existence of diverse nations, races, creeds, ideologies and cultures and that the principle of unity in diversity is the basis for a new age when war shall be outlawed and peace prevail; when the earth’s total resources shall be equitably used for human welfare; and when basic human rights and responsibilities shall be shared by all without discrimination;
- Conscious of the inescapable reality that the greatest hope for the survival of life on earth is the establishment of a democratic world government;
We, citizens of the world, hereby resolve to establish a world federation to be governed in accordance with this Constitution for the Federation of Earth.